Something hit me yesterday when I noticed that Freja didn't re-book Rick Owens or Gareth Pugh this season. There's a change a foot and I think it's in the way people are perceiving her look. I get an overall sense that she's being styled more femininely this season when compared to the past 2-3 seasons. Does anyone else feel it too? And her first time appearance at shows like Anna Sui and Oscar de la Renta, and re-appearance at shows like Carolina Herrera seem to confirm my suspicions. Couple this with her absence at two of the most tough and androgynous shows and the notion is nearly inarguable. All of this is too much for coincidence.
Needless to say, I'm thrilled because I've talked about wanting this femininity to return numerous times. People forget that when Freja started out she wasn't all tough, broody and dressed in head to toe black. She was playful, full of levity and rocking some of the best feminine looks on the catwalks. It's nice to see that the industry is finally rediscovering this side of her after a few seasons of relegating her to the de rigueur androgynous model role.
But I have to wonder what caused this change in perception? It couldn't just be the hair, right? I refuse to believe that something as important as a model's image hinges on something as fleeting as the length of her hair. (Hmmm....but this is fashion after all--an industry based entirely on outward appearance.) Perhaps it's partly attributable to Meisel? When I think back to Freja's career over the past few seasons, these are the only two differences I detect that make this season different from the other ones. Anyway, just something interesting that I wanted to point out. Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?
Popular
-
This is an orphan post - one of those that had a ton of potential, but just didn't come to full fruition. A little over four months ago,...
-
Yesterday marked the anniversary of the death of Norman "Sailor Jerry" Collins, so it seems appropriate to share the following tat...
-
Back in August, I met Sarah on the West 4th Street subway platform in Manhattan. Sarah had eight tattoos at the time of our encounter, and s...
-
I just got issue #29 of Self Service magazine. If you'll remember, it has Eniko on the cover in weird face paint and a long, multi-girl ...
-
Milan FW0910 - 10 shows total, 1 opening slot Burberry Prorsum (2 looks) Alberta Ferretti Emilio Pucci Gucci (2 looks) Marni (3 looks) Rober...
-
Yes, you Karl Lagerfeld. You, who have been the biggest and most loyal supporter of Freja. You, designer of Chanel, Fendi and up until this ...
-
Our next tattooed poet is Josh Fernandez , who estimates he is about 40% covered. "At this rate," he says, "I'll probably...
-
Easily my favorite backstage picture to come out of this past season. What a great moment to capture on camera. I just love the spontaneity ...
0 comments:
Posting Komentar