Thanks to the hard work of tFS member Diciassette (17), we now have complete scans of the mega 80 page Vogue Italia editorial. If you want to see the whole thing, it's broken up into six parts: 1 2 3 4 5 6. For the sake of brevity and staying true to the topic on hand, below is just Freja's contribution.
Runway
Vogue Italia January 2010
Ph: Steven Meisel
Leave it to Meisel to push boundaries and get people talking. After all these years, he has still maintained his edge, freshness and knack for innovation. It's an amazing feat that demands respect regardless of whether or not you like his work. We also have to give huge credit to Franca Sozzani for consistently providing a place where Meisel is free to indulge his creative whims.
I think I'm a little overwhelmed at the sheer enormity of the editorial because I don't really know what to say. So many models, so many looks, so many great moments captured...or rather, constructed. I love the black and white backstage shot of Freja being assaulted by hair and makeup because it's so realistic. It would have fit right in with this old post I did about actual backstage moments from past fashion weeks. I also love the last two shots that show us all the people who worked on this editorial. Meisel blurred the line between reality and fantasy by constructing backstage situations that usually depend on spontaneity, but he brought us all definitively back down to earth by showing us his real staff behind the scenes.
As for Freja, I'm delightfully surprised at how much she's featured here. She looks like...well...like she usually looks backstage. But that's good because it's what we should expect from an editorial called "Runway" where the models are essentially playing themselves. You even have her requisite smoking picture, but sadly no middle fingers. Nothing too special, yet very special at the same time because it's Meisel we're talking about. This isn't like the last editorial where she took her own picture. He's actually working with Freja now. And like all of you are thinking, and like I've said before, I hope he photographs her for an ad campaign or solo edit so that we can see what magic he'll really draw out from her.
Even if this doesn't happen, I hope they at least continue to work together for these huge, multi-girl editorials because it's something new and different for Freja. (As much as I'm grateful for all the work he gives her, there's no Karl in sight!) For this to happen at this stage in her career is pretty amazing and can only increase her fashion currency even more. And frankly, it's the thing I've been hoping for--the thing that might possibly reignite that feeling of excitement that I lost towards the latter half of last year. So even if Freja kind of gets lost in the model shuffle, at least she'll be a part of the relevant conversation.
Image Credits: Scans by tFS member Diciassette (17)
Popular
-
This is an orphan post - one of those that had a ton of potential, but just didn't come to full fruition. A little over four months ago,...
-
I think I'm within the statute of limitations for Thanksgiving, so let me say I am also thankful for past contributors sending me photos...
-
Back in August, I met Sarah on the West 4th Street subway platform in Manhattan. Sarah had eight tattoos at the time of our encounter, and s...
-
I just got issue #29 of Self Service magazine. If you'll remember, it has Eniko on the cover in weird face paint and a long, multi-girl ...
-
Milan FW0910 - 10 shows total, 1 opening slot Burberry Prorsum (2 looks) Alberta Ferretti Emilio Pucci Gucci (2 looks) Marni (3 looks) Rober...
-
Its the time of the year again i am going to be tattooing in the great white north for only a few days Dec21st, 22nd and 23rd message me fo...
-
I was walking up Seventh Avenue back in August when I spotted Michael, taking on break on the sidewalk, soaking in the summer pedestrian tra...
-
Our next tattooed poet is Josh Fernandez , who estimates he is about 40% covered. "At this rate," he says, "I'll probably...















0 comments:
Posting Komentar